Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lynyrd Skynyrd & politics

I've always had a soft spot for the band Lynyrd Skynyrd. The band was my favorite throughout high school, and for the most part their lyrics reflected the values to which I subscribed. Sure, the band abused drugs. But their songs such as "Poison Whiskey" and "Needle and the Spoon" delivered sermons that I took to heart.

The title the band chose for their latest release raised my eyebrows. "God and Guns." And an appearance on Fox News with Hannity?



I especially liked when Gary Rossington called Hannity "the Baby Jesus." Neal Boortz coined that nickname for his fellow radio host.

So it looks like Skynyrd is out as conservatives, though they do state that some of the band members are Democrats.

And now (at last) to my main point behind this post. I remember the darnedest things. For one, a popular Skynyrd tune called "Saturday Night Special." The song seemed to ask for gun control legislation, particularly handguns. The last line, according to my memory: "So why don't we dump 'em, people, to the bottom of the sea. 'Fore some ol' fool come around here, wanna shoot either you or me ... (followed by chorus)."

And one other thing. Skynyrd was part of a victory celebration for the newly elected Jimmy Carter, a Democrat from Georgia.

So what does it all mean?

I think it means that the Democratic Party has drifted a little left. Lynyrd Skynyrd has drifted a little right. And Carter was from Georgia.


*****


As for the new album, it has some decent tunes on it and sounds a little closer to old Skynyrd to my ears. "Nuthin' Fancy" era, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.