Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Force Protection Cheetah as JLTV?

Somebody uploaded a comparison video of sorts to YouTube. It features some footage of a Force Protection Cheetah outfitted with a machine gun firing at a target, followed by a clip from the recently released promo video for the BAE/Navistar JLTV prototype.





And, as you've see if you watched the video, it adds editorial content by making fun of the BAE/Navistar prototype. The content of the criticism is that the ground clearance of the Cheetah is higher and saves lives as a result.

My first thought when I saw the BAE/Navistar prototype was that it superficially resembled the Cheetah, with the biggest cosmetic difference being the slope of the hood. I backed up the video and, honestly, I don't see much difference in ground clearance with respect to my estimation of the bottom of the (V-shaped) crew compartment--both in the neighborhood of the axle. Could there be an issue with the added storage structures? Sure, but that type of thing should come out during blast testing.

I've found it interesting that the Internet features fans of Force Protection who show this kind of enthusiasm. Employees? Investors holding devalued stock? Whatever it is, I don't see a compelling case in this video. The ground clearance looks comparable; the BAE/Navistar prototype looks more like the Cheetah than any other armored vehicle I've seen.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.