Monday, July 07, 2008

CPU gluttony

Kathy of "Comments from Left Field" added a rejoinder to my comment in reply to her post about waterboarding. I tried to pick up the conversation, but with no real luck thus far.

This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota

Please contact this site's webmaster.

Wait a few minutes and use your browser's "Back" button or click here to try again.


If you are the webmaster, your account may have gotten this error for one or more of the following reasons:
  • Your account has used more than its share of the cpu in the past 60 second sliding window.
  • Your account has too many concurrent processes running simultanously.
  • Your account has consumed too much memory.
  • Your site was recently very busy trying to run inefficient scripts.
The solution would be to optimize your applications to use less CPU.
Adding appropriate indeces to your SQL tables can often help reduce CPU.
Using static .html documents instead of painful .php scripts will practically eliminate CPU usage.
More likely their server problem rather than me being a CPU pig, I think.

Anyway, I don't want to lose what I typed so I'll reproduce it here and maybe graft it back over there at a later time once their server has calmed itself.

Kathy supposed that my question indicated a misunderstanding of the title of her post ("If I Write About It, I'll Feel Better"). She also commented to apologize for misspelling my name. That was nice.

I figured the title had something to do with anger you were feeling, but my question did not stem from any misunderstanding of the title. It stems from the fact that your writing indicates that you understand waterboarding as torture. Based on that indication, I am expressing curiosity regarding the foundation of that understanding.
Don't trouble yourself over the name thing. I'm not easily offended. Though I do appreciate your concern.

Your last comment may be a good place to start. You call waterboarding attempted drowning. Yet the longest reported session of the modern waterboarding technique is about 30 seconds in duration (Hitchens' experience by his own report was considerably shorter than that). Is it possible to drown somebody in that length of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.