Friday, May 13, 2011

Unexpectedly ...

The Tampa Bay Rays sit in first place in the AL East as I type.

It's early, of course.  But even so, the Rays have performed better than I expected.

I can honestly claim that I thought the Rays might contend for the playoffs this year.  That expectation, however, was built on a strong performance at DH by the now-absent Manny Ramirez.  Ramirez, of course, retired abruptly after testing positive for a substance banned by MLB.

Evan Longoria's oblique strain helped shrink my expectations for the Rays.

Here's a thank you to some of the players responsible for making the 2011 Rays just as exciting to watch as the 2010 version.

Sam Fuld sparked the team offensively to help put a stop to the 8-game skid that began the season.

Johnny Damon likewise provided an spark after Ramirez departed, and provided veteran leadership when it was needed.  That makes it easier to forget his past sins (former member of Red Sox and Yankees).

The starting pitching has exceeded expectations with the exception of Jeff Nieman, who has struggled.  James Shields has recaptured and improved on the winning ways he exhibited a few years ago.  I stick with my preseason (unpublished) prediction that Jeremy Hellickson will earn more victories than Matt Garza, whom he replaced in the starting rotation.  Hellickson leads that contest 3-2 as I write.

The bullpen has far exceeded expectations.  Entering the season I thought it would be a major liability.  So far it hasn't turned out that way.

Matt Joyce looks like an everyday outfielder.  Joyce leads the AL in batting average as I write.

Ben Zobrist seems to have ironed out whatever problem plagued him at the plate last year.  Zobrist leads the team in home runs and rbi.

Casey Kotchman has filled the defensive void at first base while doing much to dispel the impression that he has a minor-league bat.

Did I miss anyone?

Could be.  B. J. Upton has shown flashes at the plate reminding me of the days when I thought his bat would endure as one of the best in the league (I'm relieved to see that my praise was a bit more cautious than I remembered).

Because of all the changes to the Rays lineup and because every team in the AL East seemed to improve itself, I figured the Rays anywhere from second place to last.  I'm happy to revise that prediction.  I don't think first place is impossible any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.