Monday, February 04, 2008

North Texas Skeptics still not skeptical enough

I've pointed out over and again the hypocritical approach to skepticism brought to bear by the North Texas Skeptics on their quotation page ("one of the biggest skeptical quotes pages on the Internet!").

I sent them an e-mail months ago to inform them of problems with the quotation they attribute to former secretary of the interior James Watt.
My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns. We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand.
James Watt, Secretary of the Interior for Ronald Reagan
Quoted in the Washington Post, May 24, 1981
(North Texas Skeptics)
The so-called skeptics have apparently had trouble confirming what I said about the quotation. That's skepticism in action, right enough, but the quotation wouldn't be there in the first place if they had checked the source properly.

John Blanton responded to my e-mail to the effect that he was trying to locate the story in the Washington Post to verify the information. I know for sure he never succeeded, because I've already checked it out.

But the error stays on, month after month ...


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.