Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Piquing PolitiFact: the Leahy/Kyl update

In my original post in the new "Piquing PolitiFact" series, I shared an e-mail message I sent to PolitiFact asking for a fact check of a statement by Sen. Pat Leahy (D, NY). I have now received a brief and somewhat amusing reply. It's show and tell time.

First, a reprint of the original message:
Dear Truth-O-Meter,

I recently read a press report that included an unusual statement from Sen. Patrick Leahy concerning an amendment offered by Sen. John Kyl. Kyl's amendment would have prevented certain funds from being used to bring Palestinian refugees to the United States, or at least so it appeared. But Leahy's interpretation seemed to view the amendment as far more expansive:

Frankly, it is unnecessary and for the United States, a Nation of immigrants, it goes against everything we stand for. We don’t resettle anybody from Gaza, nor do we resettle anybody from Gaza who is living in the U.N. refugee camps in the West Bank, Lebanon, Syria, or Jordan. The amendment is a solution looking for a problem. If a Palestinian from Gaza gets to a place like Italy, or somewhere in Europe, the amendment would prevent the State Department from even considering that person for resettlement to the United States. We would have to tell them 'Sorry, you can’t come in, because you are from a place that has terrorists.'

True or false? Or somewhere in between?

Cheers,
Bryan
And the reply:
Check out our story on this one here:http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/may/08/chain-email/money-humanitarian-aid-not-emmigration-assistance/

--
Bill Adair
Washington Bureau Chief
St. Petersburg Times and PolitiFact.com
They read their mail, at least--in a manner of speaking. The link provided by Adair leads back to the "press report" that I talked about in my original e-mail. Perhaps Adair thought that the statement is verified if it is merely quoted in a PolitiFact piece. Or, more likely, he skimmed my message to the point of thinking I was interested in the nature of the Kyl amendment rather than about Leahy's characterization of it.

I suppose it's too early to get my hopes up about seeing an evaluation of Leahy's remark at PolitiFact. But I have yet to entirely give up hope. I sent Adair a reply of my own:
Dear Mr. Adair,

Coincidentally, that is the media source I was talking about in my original e-mail. The story to which you referred me does not fact check the Leahy statement. It simply presents the statement as though it very well might be true.

But it seems worth fact checking to me. Do you not agree?

Cheers,
Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.