Thursday, March 29, 2007

Largest tax increase in U.S. history?

That seems to be the company line from GOP politicians and blogs alike.

Sounds like a claim reliant on fine print, to me.

First, the descriptions I've heard seem to attach the label to the mere sunset of the Bush tax cuts. Is that a minor point? I suppose it could depend on your perspective. I'm frankly conservative, but I think it's worth noting, at least, that the tax increase is a passive act of the Democrat leadership.

A mistake, in all probability? I think so; we'll see.

The problem I have with the claim is that it seems to play a game with numbers. The sheer size of the tax increase in terms of dollars we can expect to be the most ever. On the other hand, the tax increase in terms of percentages is almost certainly far lower than that. It's misleading political rhetoric. On the one hand, I kind of hope it works, since the Democrats will foul up the economy. On the other hand the use of misleading political rhetoric leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Even if I'm not the one using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.