Saturday, March 01, 2008

Karl Rove in the news

I've been slow to take interest in the "60 Minutes" story suggesting that Karl Rove performed some sort of sting operation on the former Demcratic governor of Alabama. It seemed as though it would take quite a bit for me to get up to speed on the issue.

Thanks to Power Line, however, I'm now aware of some distinct controversies about the television segment courtesy of an Alambama news reporter.

Eddie Curran works for the Mobile Press Register and has a book on Gov. Siegelman in the works. Curran wrote an (apparently open) letter to "60 Minutes."

Subject: Substantial factual errors regarding the “vivid story” and virtually every other major assertion made in Sunday’s piece on Don Siegelman, as well as questions regarding journalistic integrity and work ethic by 60 Minutes staff in the preparation and presentation of the piece.

From: Eddie Curran

Attn: Jeff Fager, Joel Bach, David Gelber, Scott Pelley, Rich Kaplan
Producers, host, management, of 60 Minutes

Dear Sirs,

I am, as at least David knows, a reporter with the Mobile Press Register. I did the stories that prompted an investigation of former Gov. Don Siegelman and his administration. I am on sabbatical from the paper, working on a book about the administration, the trial, and the aftermath, including the 60 Minutes show, and am no longer covering the matter for the paper.

I will be writing about the program, both in my book and, likely, in articles that I hope to publish prior to publication. I also intend to disseminate this letter because, frankly, I doubt it will ever reach you otherwise. I would like here to ask some questions, and point out some errors. I will begin with statements by Doug Jones.
(Read the rest at Flashpoint)
Given the disparity between Curran's observations and the allegations in the "60 Minutes" program, this story should keep simmer along quite nicely for a good while.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.