Saturday, July 08, 2006

"How, Then, Shall We Live?"

One of more content-rich blogsites I've run across at eBlogger is "How, Then, Shall We Live?" The title caught my eye because of the similarity to the Charles Colson/Nancy Pearcy collaboration "How Now Shall We Live?" which was an update of Francis Schaeffer's "How Shall We Then Live?"--essentially a blueprint for Christian action in the world. A yet closer match was Wayne Muller's "How, Then, Shall We Live?"
Now, the website is not explicitly Christian at all, from what I can see, though it's hard to imagine that the title doesn't owe a debt to Muller, if not also to Colson and Pearcy. It contains material on a great variety of subjects, and one in particular that interested me was a lecture by Christopher Hitchens on the desirability of an atheist or anti-theistic culture.
Hitchens is a writer for Slate (as well as the author of quite a number of books). He is politically liberal but holds what I would call unusually clear-eyed opinions on US foreign policy, for a liberal.

I haven't viewed the lecture yet, but I have the idea of reviewing it at a later date when time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.