Saturday, July 01, 2006

Learn From My Mistakes!

Why make a mess with your own mistakes when you can learn from mine?

My post below concerning the potentially bogus quotation appears to refer to Answers.com as a suitably authoritative source.
It's not. Not really, anyway.
Answers.com got their info from Wikipedia ("the encyclopedia anyone can edit!"). In this case the information happens to be good. I just used a less-than-suitable source, even after deliberately bypassing sources that were more obviously Wiki (might as well be short for "Wicked" when it comes to airtight sourcing).

Unless you're part of the crowd looking out for black helicopters all the time, .edu and .gov sources are among the most acceptable. If the black helicopter thing is legit, then we probably can't trust anything on the 'Net.

I should add that Kele picked up very quickly that I had sniffed out a potential problem, and I can point out his response as exemplary.
I don't remember even contacting him about it. I wanted to do more to confirm my suspicions first. Unfortunately, that's something for a later time.


I'm still having trouble finding a suitable source for the quotation of Watt that I used.
At least it's easy to find it embedded in context.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.