Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Weekly Standard: "Beauchamp recants"

THE WEEKLY STANDARD has learned from a military source close to the investigation that Pvt. Scott Thomas Beauchamp--author of the much-disputed "Shock Troops" article in the New Republic's July 23 issue as well as two previous "Baghdad Diarist" columns--signed a sworn statement admitting that all three articles he published in the New Republic were exaggerations and falsehoods--fabrications containing only "a smidgen of truth," in the words of our source.
(The Weekly Standard)
Hmmm. That didn't take long.

I'll admit that I find it a bit odd that Beauchamp offered his recantation via signing a sworn statement. I'd have expected the admission to come through verbal testimony. But maybe I just don't understand the way the military operates.

Though this is the outcome I expected (exaggeration based on a germ of truth), I'm keeping the book open on this one.

I expect to see more on this story from the other side, including the New Republic. Plus I'd like to see a more complete story from the armed services, including the text of the sworn statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.