Sunday, July 13, 2008

Did anybody notice that Obama called Bush "unpatriotic"? (Updated)

While doing some research on Obama's Iraq policy speeches I just happened to run across a remarkable statement from the most visible member of the party that won't tolerate challenges to its patriotism.

Barack Obama, July 3 in Fargo, ND:
The problem is is that the way Bush has done it the last eight years, is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China, in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion for the first 42 presidents, number 43 added $4 trillion dollars by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion of debt that, that we are going to have to pay back. Thirty thousand dollars for every man, woman and child. That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.
(transcript based on video posted at valleynewlive.com; see Q&A segment at about the 32 minute mark)
This is that new politics you've all heard about where Obama will not attack his political opponents.

Update:

A little news nugget from the recent past:
"I have found, for the first time, my patriotism challenged — at times as a result of my own carelessness, more often as a result of the desire by some to score political points and raise fears about who I am and what I stand for," he said before a crowd of a few hundred people at the Truman Memorial Building here. "I will never question the patriotism of others in this campaign. And I will not stand idly by when I hear others question mine."
(AP, via Yahoo!News).
I will never question the patriotism of others in this campaign.

Right. Sure.

No doubt this stage of the campaign is different from the stage of the campaign he referred to back in June. That Obama is an artful guy. Is it OK to call him a liar, now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.