Sunday, July 20, 2008

Going commercial

This is a decision I could make lightly, given the less than staggering traffic my little blog generates, but I'm going to try out Google's Adsense feature. I'll need at least one volunteer over the next 12 months to click on one of the ads so that I can get a sense of how it works.

I'll also probably add a tip jar feature. Who would pay for what I'd do for free? I guess we'll see. My thinking on this point is that some of what I write contains valuable research and good information. And since there are folks getting paid to write some the baloney that I end up correcting it seems only fair somehow to create an avenue for potentially mitigating that gross injustice.

My biggest problem with these moves is that it doesn't seem to fully jibe with my hoped-for presentation. I try to keep a sense of humor about my writing even though I'm perfectly serious about handling the truth with the most integrity I can generate. Ads generally aren't funny. And a tip jar can be downright ugly. I know I snicker inside when I see tip jar icons at some of the Fever Swamp blogs I explore from time to time. I have little doubt I'll stimulate a sneer or two with a "gimme" icon. Meh. Humor me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain on topic and keep coarse language to an absolute minimum. Comments in a language other than English will be assumed off topic.